Saturday, June 8, 2013

Architecture, Context.

Attended a very inspirational talk of architect Kevin Mark Low today. I've gotta say its pretty inspiring listening to his talk of how he thinks architecture should be molded not in terms of form, but in terms of context.


I'm not sure how people usually gets inspired by a certain thing or an object, but before listening to his talk, I was usually inspired by magazines, books or images of designs by famous architects or building itself. But according to him, inspirations are not merely inspired by images and designs, but inspirations should actually be inspired by relationships. I'm speaking relationships in terms of, for example the user group and the space itself, or even the relationships of the sun set and rise, the sea tides and any other possible examples that you could think of that involves relationships. 

Apart of what I've mentioned on the previous post about questioning myself in terms life and designing, he also contemplate that in architecture, we should start questioning, looking and searching for solutions before designing a space. In my opinion, whatever he says made sense to me, that we should actually start questioning all sorts of questions, providing solutions for the needs.

Speaking about brands, he mentioned about branding names in architecture, where most of the successful architects are usually blinded by fame. I totally agree with his point that most architects these days only focuses on profit makings by designing buildings aesthetic wise while abandoning the context. A trip to PJ Trade Centre today had proved his facts very accurate where along the way I could only catch sight of disappointing buildings that are built plainly for aesthetic visuals instead of an articulate thought in terms of context. 

Some of Kevin Mark Low works:
http://www.small-projects.com/index.php

And also,  a peek of PJTC also designed by KML: 





To those who haven't been to PJ Trade Centre, you might probably wanna make a trip there at least ONCE to experience the architecture. You would be surprise of the poetic spaces you can rarely find in Msia, plus its a green building where raw materials are used to construct instead of the common plastering and coatings. Not to mention the landscaping there is pretty impressive too. 

Now, I'm glad I've blogged about this, at least I won't have any regrets for not posting this talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment