Sunday, March 15, 2015

Life of an asst. architect

Ok, the consistency of updating a blog frequently is really hard, or probably I've just been procrastinating over the weeks haha. 

Waaa ever since starting working in an architectural firm is really very overwhelming and exhausting. So, the in sights what I've been doing the whole past month..... 

#lifeofanassistantarchitect
1. Jamming to and fro frm work every day. Its just really stress and mentally exhausting every single day driving back after having a long day working the brain with things at the office. And ever since, I've been getting headache for most of the days jamming home. 
2. Writing meeting minutes. GAHHH I literally took ONE full day just to draft this minutes out and I can already feel my brain juice drained out. I knew I should've recorded the meeting but uh, I thought I need permission to do so, fml. And throughout the meeting the whole conversations were carried out in BM and I only had my notebook to jot my notes cuz my boss took my minutes. zzz

3. Cadding, cadding and cadding. Felt like I'm literally going blind by the rate I'm staring at the computer everyday with black backgrounds with colourful layers of lines. Oh btw, I even had my first OT until 330am in the morning which is super ridiculous la. I need to clarify that not because that I didnt finish my work during working hours thats why I OT-ed but instead, both me and my draftsman were given a period of 2 weeks to complete 88 units of residential S&P drawings including comparison drawings.

So actually it was my draftsman job to finish up all the drawings with me assisting him if he needed any help to finish in time for submission but instead, I think I did like about 60 over units and him with the remaining. And after that I thought I will leave him with the line weights since his more familiar and it will save up a lot of time and me moving on with the comparison drawings while waiting him to finish up and aid me with the drawings.

BUT NO. Instead he helped other architect with tender drawings (ok, that I understand maybe they were rushing) BUT NUUU. at night he still can join them play badminton and he totally did not even offer to help AT ALL. So, end up I completed EVERY SINGLE comparison drawings with the help of a very nice colleague.

I just wanted to upload this horrendous lady, hahaha. Wonder who cadded her face till like that. 
4. Finding coded products in the store and dealing with suppliers. 

Ah, speaking of a supplier, there's this one day a sales supplier walk in, assuming he was trying to sell his product and get some sales for his company la. But this dude, gosh his really not suited to be a salesman ok or probably just not this industry. First of all, he asked alot of questions about the work stage of the company, which I assume is ok for his homework la BUT he was NOT aggressive at all. He didnt even introduce what was his best selling product and even I had to lead him and ask him questions about his product.

C'mon la, in this such a competitive industry, if you want an architect to spec your product but you can't even convince them then whats the point? And there are so many other suppliers then why should I choose you instead of them? He even said he will bring his boss to do presentation, oh wow.  Really very not convincing la since you can't even do your sales presentation right. Gahh, totally wasted 15mins of my time listening.
5. Back to wayfinding. #lifeofapreviousconsultant

I guess it was somehow a bit comfortable going back to my own comfort zone but at the same time a bit boring. Fun as in I get to experiment and play with new ideas without budget limitation but boring because I've been doing this same thing for the past year. Things are to get hectic after CNY cuz tender is around mid March, fml. I hope my partner and I manage to finish everything before he ciao bck to Aussie to continue his studies so he won't leave me doing everything alone and OT again zzz.

So I guess thats all about the updates working in the firm. Overall I would say I'm glad that I'm still able to cope up with work eventhough I've been MIA-ing in the architect industry for a year. 

On the brighter side,  I've bought Jay's latest album! It has been a long time since I last purchase a Jay's album, so good thing that this album doesn't disappoints! Initially I wanted to buy the USB figurine but its just too pricey!
Still cant get enough of this album. <3 nbsp="" p="">

No comments:

Post a Comment